Crispads

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Luke, chapter 18 part 1

This morning is another rough morning. It is a morning where my stomach is in knots because something just does not feel right. I cannot place my finger on it, but today feels like it is the head of my feeling of not really belonging anywhere. Maybe it is my fear that everything I have been trying to do lately won’t be enough, even though I know it is not the case. It is my hope that today’s lesson in chapter 18 of Luke and some intense prayer will help the matter. I am praying that God will use my little bit of faith, as mentioned yesterday, to accomplish something wonderful.

And there is hope in the parable of the persistent widow. This is a woman that never gave up in the face of even more daunting circumstances. She fought alone as I do. She sought an answer that looked like it would never come just as I do. In this, Jesus wants us to remain strong in faith regardless of if the answer is yes or no to what we ask. As Jimmy V. says, “Don’t give up, don’t ever give up.”

6And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?" – Luke 18:6-8

If an unjust and uncaring judge can come around, won’t the God of the universe? It doesn’t feel like it today, but I know that God is out there and He cares about me. He has provided before, so He will again. Right now my own faith is lacking in this area, but I pray that I have the strength today to look beyond myself and see something greater in what God is doing right now. After all, I have all the time I need today.

In that, the parable of the Pharisee and tax collector makes even more sense. I feel like lately I have been the Pharisee, focused only on myself when I pray. I have tried to branch out, but I keep coming back to what I need. Jesus has spoken of tax collectors before. They were the most despised members of society, yet we consistently see them making better decision than the supposed religious elite. It is this attitude of supplication and humility that we must take before God. Right now, I feel like I am nothing. It is God’s choice what he does next with me.

No comments: