Crispads

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Luke, Chapter 14

In Luke 14 Jesus once again touches on the subject of humility. I have been thinking a lot about this lately because I feel like God is trying to tell me something in it. That is why today, I am trying a new approach to facing the day. As most of you know, it has been a constant struggle lately to find work. Temp work has been few and far between. I have had basketball games, something I actually enjoy, to cover, but that is not really much. The rest of the time I have been seeking and trying every avenue possible in order to find some kind of work. Most of those end up being nos or dead ends.

As I was falling asleep last night, however, I felt God whispering to my spirit to trust Him. As I search, I get more and more frustrated when I don’t find something. It makes me even more tense as each jobless day passes. Compounding matters is the fact we are going to see my in laws in April and I fear that trip is preventing me from taking anything long term even though I don’t have such offers. In this, I have tried to tell myself that God will provide. I haven’t really believed it though.

That is why God was trying to tell me something. I feel like last night He was impressing on my heart to sit back and wait today. I feel I was being told that today needed to be a day where I simply listen for His voice and trust Him to do what needs to be done behind the scenes. Yes, there needs to be effort on my part, but in reality the final act is not something I can do. I cannot force a decision in someone. I cannot walk into some place and start drawing a paycheck. Ultimately, it must be God that decides what He wants in my life. I have lately felt it is something I must go out and do, but that is not the case.

10But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, 'Friend, move up to a better place.' Then you will be honored in the presence of all your fellow guests. 11For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." – Luke 14:10-11

This is where the lesson in humility comes in. I see now that I can only do so much. Thinking I can do more, that I am owed a place of honor at these jobs simply because of who I am, is not exhibiting humility. I have been guilty in the past of thinking certain places are beneath me. This is something that needs to stop. Yes, Ic an feel out of place. Yes, I can feel like something isn’t a good fit for my skills, but I need to get past thinking I am above some places. Right now I am the one in the lowest position. I need to commit today to wait and listen for what God is going to reveal about taking a better place. Clearly I am needed where I am at today. In that, I had best find out why and listen to god for that why.

No comments: