Crispads

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Luke, Chapter 12 part 1

There are days when I question if I have enough faith to truly survive in this world. Those questions come almost daily, but they are offset by the promises that are laid out in the first half of Luke, chapter 12. In this chapter we are asked to speak for the cause of God regardless of the cause. That goes hand in hand with the admonition not to worry. If we anchor ourselves in the promises of God we don't even need to worry about what we will say. God will already prvide the words for us through the Holy Spirit.

11"When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, 12for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say." – Luke 12:11-12

I know I do not face persecution except for what is made up in my own little mind. I live in a country where I have the freedom to do and think whatever I feel. In that, I still must rely on the Holy Spirit to give me what I need to say when I represent God. I cannot possibly do this very blog on my own. Each morning I struggle in the flesh to know what to say, yet God always seems to reveal some truth in these words. It isn't always a grand truth, as we saw yesterday. There is still something though. It is my prayer that I represent Him well here.

25Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 26Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? – Luke 12:25-26

Though I have been given the promise of the Spirit in the Words of this blog it is still one of the things I worry about. Often times when I step back and truly look at the root of my concern I see it is pointless. Last night I was having trouble sleeping because of worry going through my head. In the light of the morning, however, I see that I actually do not control anything. As much as I think I control my life I realize that I could be driving home from substitute teaching today and have a semi plow into me, ending things in a heartbeat. We are literally at God's mercy each day.

Does that mean our lives are pointless? Of course not! We are asked to give God everything we have until His purposes are fulfilled in us. I think that is why, in my human nature, I fear death. That fear comes from thinking I somehow won't fulfill God's promises. In a way, that fear is a good thing. I have long believed that I will not have fear once that moment comes for me because God will prepare me for it spiritually. At that time, it will be merely a transition. It is my prayer today then that I will fulfill what he wants me to do in this life for however long he needs me to do it.

No comments: