Crispads

Monday, January 5, 2009

Luke, Chapter 11 part 1

How is your prayer life today? I ask because that is the early focus of Luke chapter 11. Jesus teaches us to put our heart and soul into prayer. This fits in with the true definition of prayer. I believe that prayer is something special. It is our direct communication with God. Therefore, it is also an amazing gift. Though God already knows everything, we can tell Him exactly how we feel through prayer. Because of this, I believe prayer does not always have to be flowery language. We can fall into that trap where we feel that if we just ask the right way, it will be given to us as it says in this chapter.

I try to pray like I am talking to God merely as a best friend. If I am frustrated (as has been the main theme of many prayers lately), I tell him. If I have much to praise, I let out a spontaneous prayer of thanks. Prayer does not have to be this grand, elaborate production. To me, the best prayers are ones from deep inside. This is why I feel my prayer life has struggled. I have missed that connection with the Father. I feel I am saying the same things over and over again, but He is just not listening. I feel I am missing something.

18If Satan is divided against himself, how can his kingdom stand? I say this because you claim that I drive out demons by Beelzebub. 19Now if I drive out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your followers drive them out? So then, they will be your judges. 20But if I drive out demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come to you. – Luke 11:18-20

I think the above verses help explain the disconnection that I have felt of late. I am divided between seeking God to get me out of this rut of life, yet I continue to seek my own way out contrary to what God has planned for me. My own plans conflict with God’s plans, so I continue to sit in this place of nothingness. This leads to frustration, depression, and eventually anger.

No comments: