Crispads

Monday, January 12, 2009

Luke, Chapter 13

It has been a few days, but I have draw encouragement from a number of places. Thank you to the anonymous poster who left a comment after Thursday’s writing. It lifted me up and allowed me to see some perspective here. The situation is slightly better since the second interview that day was a very good one, but I still have no definite offer on the table. It is looking more and more like I am supposed to strike out on my own, substitute teach, and find various freelance assignments in there. I am encouraged because the Lord will provide.

We see examples of that in Luke 13. In the face of opposition Jesus healed a woman on the Sabbath. The subsequent humiliations of the synagogue leaders would be another step toward His death, but He still moved forward. To me, that is one of the greatest signs of encouragement. I am merely facing a continued professional and financial struggle. Jesus was facing a painful death on the cross in order to take away the sins of the world. Obviously, this is no small feat.
6Then he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. 7So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, 'For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?'

8" 'Sir,' the man replied, 'leave it alone for one more year, and I'll dig around it and fertilize it. 9If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.' " – Luke 13:6-9

I wanted to include this parable today because it make a big statement along the lines of encouragement. Each of us is like this fig tree. We are given a short time in order to bear fruit. Before knowing Christ it is difficult for us to bear fruit as well. With proper care and spiritual nourishment, however, we can reach the point in our growth that we can provide some space for others. This is how our spiritual walk needs to be. I am guilty of not bearing fruit each day. I agree it is very hard to feel productive in my current state, but this blog and daily study of the Bible is a way of watering and fertilizing myself. Other than that, I am on God’s graces. If He can provide for the trees and birds of the air (as seen in the mustard seed parable later in this chapter) I should have no worries that He can provide for me.

No comments: