Crispads

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Proverbs, chapter 13

Yesterday I spoke about keeping my big mouth shut. It is a weakness I have, but it is one that I am slowly learning to overcome. It seems as if I have two extremes. Either I am talking too much on a topic and repeat my thoughts over and over, or I am silent and barely want to speak. Maybe that is the book of Proverbs finally taking root in me.

3 He who guards his lips guards his life,
but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin. – Proverbs 13:3

This does not mean we should always be silent. On the contrary, we are charged with spreading the Word of God at all times. It is hard to do that if we remain silent all the time. Instead, God is asking us to think before we speak. Words can have incredible value, but there is nothing worse than speaking when you have nothing to say. That is what reality television is for, especially on the E Network.

7 One man pretends to be rich, yet has nothing;
another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth. – Proverbs 13:7

This is another fundamental problem with society, and a major reason our economy is in shambles at the moment. People think they must be rich, so they spend money they do not have and rack up huge amounts of debt. Nothing but trouble lies that way. It is a departure from the Biblical principles that work. I know because I am proof of this. Not having a permanent job for four and a half years has certainly not made me rich, yet God has provided and we have never been without, plus we have virtually zero debt.

20 He who walks with the wise grows wise,
but a companion of fools suffers harm. – Proverbs 13:20

The final point I want to make today is to watch the company you keep, as told in verse 20 here. I know today’s entry has come off as somewhat cynical. I apologize for that, as it is my poor attitude getting in the way. Still, the book of Proverbs warned us, millennia ago to watch the company that we keep. We learn the most from those around us. If we keep good company that is a step along the road to wisdom.

No comments: