Crispads

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Proverbs, chapter 11

Part of true wisdom is humility. We must know when we do not have all the answers, and therefore we should seek them in those cases. Unfortunately, it is human nature to charge ahead blindly without knowing. I’ll give you an example. I am a big college football fan. I am going to see a game this weekend, but it is on a campus I have never been to before. I could charge ahead blindly, thinking I know everything because I got o games all the time. Without humility and seeking the wisdom of directions, however, I can impair my weekend.

Think of God and the wisdom He offers as the ultimate game day guide to any stadium. I have produced a game day guide to Purdue’s Ross-Ade Stadium That many fans have found quite helpful when they visit Purdue. Well, God’s Word is our game day guide to life. Think of the book of Proverbs here as the parking guide. You need the basic knowledge of where to park before you can enjoy the game.

2 When pride comes, then comes disgrace,
but with humility comes wisdom. – Proverbs 11:2

There is nothing wrong with being proud of what we have accomplished as long as we realize that the ultimate source of our accomplishments lies in God. I have built a popular sports blog that has been read by people as far away as Argentina. It thrills me to no end that I have readers thank me for what I do every week, but ultimately it is God’s glory, because I know this is only a step along the way. This is part of the process of Him putting me in a better position to do His work. I must remain humble before God and give Him the glory here.

23 The desire of the righteous ends only in good,
but the hope of the wicked only in wrath. – Proverbs 11:23

This ties in with the idea that God is preparing me for something better than what I am currently doing. It is my desire that I serve His kingdom at all times and in all places. I know I can do great work through my writing, but I must wait to get there first. I must strive to be righteous and serve His ends first so that my life might have meaning.

No comments: