Crispads

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Proverbs, chapter 12

1 Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
but he who hates correction is stupid. – Proverbs 12:1

I wanted to start today’s entry with the very first verse because it is one of the most poignant you will ever see in the Bible. I know it is a point I have tried to make over and over again here, but I think that it is because it is something that God wants to make sure we know. If we truly are going to seek knowledge we must always be ready for discipline. It is impossible to grow without discipline. Even if it is painful, it is probably for our own good.

15 The way of a fool seems right to him,
but a wise man listens to advice. – Proverbs 12:15

Another key component of wisdom is knowing that we are not the source of it. We must always have our ears open to wisdom. This is true not for ourselves, but for others. One of the most stunning things I have discovered recently is that people have come to me for wisdom. I just turned 30, yet people respect me for wisdom I might have. Inside I feel 15 still some days. I should be the one seeking wisdom, and I strive to do it every day for the rest of my life. On both sides of the coin we must be willing and able to listen when necessary.

18 Reckless words pierce like a sword,
but the tongue of the wise brings healing. – Proverbs 12:18

This is in conjunction with verse 15. If we are going to speak wisdom to others we must be careful with what we say. We can do a lot of good with the words we say, but we can do a lot of bad as well. Believe me, when I was working full-time I had a problem with what I said. I was young and idealistic, so I thought people would appreciate an honest take on things. Sometimes a little tact can help you be on the right side of the line between wisdom and reckless.

No comments: