Crispads

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Proverbs, chapter 1

Proverbs is a book that thrives on the search for wisdom. It was written primarily by Solomon. This is significant because God presented Solomon with any gift he could possibly ask for, but Solomon asked for wisdom. He could have had money, power, respect, fame, but instead he chose to ask God for wisdom. God gave him everything else in addition to wisdom, and Proverbs is a collection of that wonderful gift of wisdom. I wanted to come here and begin an in depth study because I am seeking for wisdom as well. It is through proper wisdom and knowledge of God's plan for us that I feel I can finally find some peace in my soul.

7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
       but fools despise wisdom and discipline. – Proverbs 1:7

Does this mean that we have to be afraid of God? Of course not! Fear, in this use, is used primarily to show proper reverence and respect for God. It is the cornerstone of this entire book. If we do not give God the proper credit and respect He deserves then we have no basis for wisdom. That is because we are then basing our wisdom on man, not God. Wisdom based on man has no chance of standing up to God's standard. We must approach God with an attitude of humility and respect, thus allowing us to connect with Him. That is where wisdom begins.

 20 Wisdom calls aloud in the street,
       she raises her voice in the public squares;

 21 at the head of the noisy streets she cries out,
       in the gateways of the city she makes her speech: -- Proverbs 1:20-21

The amazing thing about wisdom is that it does call to us. God does not want us to walk around in a fog of cluelessness as I have for the past year or so. He wants us to grow and connect with Him. By growing and connecting with Him, we can serve the purpose that He has placed us on this earth for. God wants us to have the wisdom He has promised us because we are also happier when we are serving in the role He wants us to serve. A former pastor of mine once gave a sermon about living in the zone of God's blessing. In short, we are happiest when we are doing what God wants us to do. We feel like we are living in the groove and serving the purpose we were created for.

I have not been in this zone of God's blessing for some time. I know this because I can remember when I was. Nothing is sweeter than being in that spot with God. Even though at the time I was not working a great job, I was still serving in the role God had intended for me. Life is fluid, however. That zone changed for me and I slipped away from it. That is why I am now seeking wisdom, as Proverbs tells me to do, so I can get back.

No comments: