Crispads

Friday, August 28, 2009

James, chapter 5 revisited

Today we will talk about the final chapter of the book of James. Once again, it deals with the issue of patience. Patience is certainly something I have struggled with throughout my life. This chapter in particular is speaking to me this morning because of the nature of its lesson on patience. Today, James preaches patience in suffering and the prayer of faith. Right now, I feel like I have neither.

10Brothers, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. 11As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy. – James 5:10-11

The bitterness within me sees these as just words, but they are words with truth behind them. Sometime you just to bite your bottom lip and give life hell in order to get through it. That is how I am going through life at the moment. On most days, I simply exist, but at least I am persevering.

13Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. 14Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. – James 5:13-15

Finally, I feel like I have forgotten how to pray. I still do whenever I get the chance, but my prayer life is virtually non-existent in terms of substance. It sucks to end this on a down note, but it is the truth.

No comments: