Crispads

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

James, chapter 2 revisited

As usually happens when I go back and re-read a passage I have already read in the Bible, it teaches me something new. As I mentioned yesterday, James is my favorite book in all the Bible. It is one of the first books I read that really spoke to me on a personal level. Even when I go back to it now I find that God reveals something new in it almost every time. Today I wanted to concentrate on the second part of the chapter concerning faith and deeds.

14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. – James 2:14-17

Yesterday was a day that relates to this. I felt empowered by the faith of god’s promises for the first time in a long time. As a result, I plowed through the work I had planned for myself in seemingly record time. Unfortunately, I was done by noon and had the afternoon free for myself. Since I do not relax well when this happens, I was left with idle hands for the entire afternoon.

Much like most of my unemployment, I feel paralyzed by inaction when I have nothing to do. I have the fire and the faith to do deeds, but I have trouble putting words to action because I feel there are literally no deeds to do. That made yesterday afternoon a waste, and I am tired of it.

As a result, I am seeking to maximize this unexpected time better. If I can use it for resting and recharging my drained spirit, I will do so. If I can use it to accomplish something else for the kingdom, I will do so. If I can use it as a time of prayer and fasting, I will do so. These are the deeds that I choose to add to my faith, in order to have a more complete life experience.

No comments: