Crispads

Monday, August 31, 2009

Acts, chapter 1 revisited

Sometimes, you just have to do something. That was the original impetus behind starting this blog, and it is what I am doing now with it. I have no idea where my life is going or what I am doing lately. Each step forward is more confusing than the last, but I am at least trying to step forward. I move not of my own strength, but of the strength provided by the spirit.

We see that a little bit today as we take a looks at Acts, chapter 1 again. After getting some final instructions from Jesus Himself, the apostles are left on their own to carry on His mission. Even these men, who spent a ton of time in the physical presence of Jesus, did not know what to do next.

7He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

9After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.

10They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11"Men of Galilee," they said, "why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven." – Acts 1:7-11

One of my favorite movies, the Shawshank Redemption, has a line similar to what the angel says here. It is simply, “Get busy living, or get busy dying.” When you think about it, that is very true here. With Jesus’ final earthly words He challenged his disciples with the task to spread the gospel as far as they could. That work continues today. In a way, it continues here as I do my small part to spread His word. We see that the next step the disciples took was to replace Judas and pray about their task, but from this point forward we don’t see them limited to the area around Jerusalem any more.

No comments: