Crispads

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

James, Chapter 3 revisited

For those that know me, I don't have a good brain to mouth filter. This has been a failing of mine for some time, as I commonly say exactly what I think. I believe that the truth, no matter how brutal, needs to be said at all time. Because of that, I have a hard time working in a society like ours that does not value truth as much as kissing up to the right people. It is not my nature, and it has gotten me in trouble more times than I care to think.

That is why it is interesting that we talk of taming the tongue in James chapter 3. The tongue is a dangerous thing to deal with us. Since much of what I say is overly bitter due to a lot of what I have been through, it tends to control my thoughts almost at all times. This is a warning that serves us well even if we work to follow Christ more.

9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water. – James 3:9-12

I have no defense in this. I have spent too much time of late cursing mankind and what is going wrong rather than praising God. Even this morning I did so, as I got a call from my temp agency about a short term assignment being offered to me. Yes, I am thankful for the work, but I was frustrated because it means six more weeks of living a temporary life as opposed to actually advancing my career. I admit that I am not producing a whole lot of praise lately. I must seek this out more actively.

No comments: