Crispads

Friday, March 13, 2009

2 Corinthians, chapter 4

10We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. – 2 Corinthians 4:10

I wanted to begin with Scripture today because that verse provided one of those rare moments where I was blown away by the Word of God. I try to begin each day by asking that God achieve something wonderful in me that day. I often do this right after my alarm goes off before I even put my feet on the floor. Generally, I have a moment or two while my wife is drying her hair where I don't have to get up immediately, so I use that moment to connect to God in prayer. While it is not verbatim, I basically pray that this verse happens to me in that time.

This is not our work when we are here on this earth. This chapter makes it clear that all we do is done for the glory of God. If we have success in our labors it is God's success, not our own. In a way, we are slaves. Paul often referred to himself as a slave for the Gospel. That is essentially wheat we become when we put our faith in Christ. We no longer serve our selfish interests. Instead, we are commissioned with the task of living His message at all times. We are finite and frail, so we are not always successful in this. Still, we see here that God has promised to always triumph.

2Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God. 3And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 5For we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. 6For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. – 2 Corinthians 4:2-6

That is why I write here. That is why I continue doing this even on days where my heart is not fully in it. I do not want the gospel veiled when it comes to me. When people see me I want the gospel to plainly be written on me. From there it is not longer my choice. I don't have control over it once it leaves me, because then it is up to God. By not veiling it in me I am doing my part. I am not Lord, but Jesus Christ is.

No comments: