Crispads

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Luke, Chapter 24 part 2

Our final glimpse of Jesus in Luke 24 comes with His final act here on earth. To His disciples, it was a final miracle and pep talk to encourage them in continuing on His ministry. As we view it through the lens of history, we see it as a promise that was made and has yet to be fulfilled. It is interesting to see these verses because of what Jesus did for the disciples. They accomplished much in His name after the ascension, but as we see they did not do it in their own strength.

In their own strength they were filled with doubt as we are. As we can see, they doubted it was Jesus even as He stood risen in their presence. He had to open their minds spiritually to get them to fully understand t that point. He also states that they first must be sent power from upon high before they can go out and begin the task of continuing His ministry.

45Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. 46He told them, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48You are witnesses of these things. 49I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high." – Luke 24:45-49

I find this amazing because we view the disciples as these great men that worked wonders. They did do that, but only once they were strengthened by the Holy Spirit. Time and again we see them as weak and faithless even when Jesus was with them. This teaches us that we must rely on the Holy Spirit for our own strength. When I try and rely on myself alone I find that I often stumble. In fact, I can't remember the last time I succeeded at anything without the Holy Spirit's guidance. It is my prayer today, as we finish the book of Luke, that this most important lesson is spread throughout the earth.

No comments: