Crispads

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Luke, Chapter 22 part 2

In this section of Luke 22 we see Jesus’ humanity in perhaps its largest display. As I sit here this morning with my cereal and juice, I can look at this two ways. I can look at is like a movie, with these as mere snacks before me as I watch the climactic scene in Jessu’ story. Or, I can look at it like it is. I can see Jesus’ fear because we all face similar fears each day.

Jesus, though He was fully God, also was fully man. He did not want to suffer the pain He was about to go through, but saw it was necessary to complete His mission. Just as we pray when we are fearful, Jesus prayed in this moment. It was an incredibly intense prayer as well. Can you imagine feeling the part of You that is God working directly in you as you prayed, or knowing that an angel from heaven was there directly to comfort you?

42"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." – Luke 22:42

This is such a simple part of Jesus’ prayer, but I have felt it resonate with me countless times. There have been times where I have prayed to get jobs, yet reversed it this way in case it was not God’s will. The same is true when I have had to face things that I didn’t want to face. To me, this is Jesus’ most humble moment. He didn’t want out of His mission, but He wanted to accomplish it in another way if it was possible.

60Peter replied, "Man, I don't know what you're talking about!" Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. 61The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times." – Luke 22:60-61

While the previous section showed Jesus in His most human light, this section shows how humanity alone cannot conquer our fears. Earlier, the disciples did not have the strength to pray in the garden. Here, Peter in all his braggadocio from hours earlier fails miserably right before Jesus. He failed Jesus when Jesus just needed his strength and companionship. That’s all Jesus wanted in that moment. Later, we see Peter become a great leader and the rock upon which Christ’s church is founded. Here however, He failed his first major test.

No comments: