Crispads

Friday, February 13, 2009

1 Corinthians, chapter 1

Now that we have finally finished the book of Luke I wanted to step away from the gospels one final time before tackling the book of John. It has been awhile since I have read a book written by Paul and I wanted to find one I haven’t written about yet. That’s why I decided to start reading 1 Corinthians. I already feel rewarded by stepping intot his book because of Paul’s words.

Paul has such a straightforward way of cutting through the distractions and putting the focus on the topic that we should focus on: Christ. 1 Corinthians is an example of that. The church in Corinth had become sidetracked by a variety of issues and Paul wrote this letter as encouragement and direction for them. I can almost picture him sitting there, shaking his head, before writing these words. I even picture a minor outburst where he shouts, “It’s Christ, people! Just focus on Him! It’s not that hard!”

13Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul? 14I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. 16(Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don't remember if I baptized anyone else.) 17For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. – 1 Corinthians 1:13-17

I can see where this is common. Those who become saved can be tempted to worship those that led them to Christ. Some in the church of Corinth had started following those that had led them to the faith instead of Christ Himself. I do not know the effect that this blog has had on some people. I don’t know if some have been saved by it or not, but this drives home one of my original points. What I write here is not about me. I do appreciate those that read it and hope they are led to the faith through it, but that power is not mine. I am not the focus here. Paul, in this chapter is saying the same thing by attempting to draw the focus back on Christ.

26Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. – 1 Corinthians 1:26-27

Isn’t this the epitome of the gospel. Every single person that has worked to expand the gospel of Christ was originally weak and unwise. That is human nature. Think of event he great evangelist of our day, Billy graham. He has been racked by maladies from Parkinson’s to cancer in recent years, but he still carries forth the gospel. He will until his dying breath. Look at Paul as well. He was a virulent hater of the original church, but eventually became the greatest evangelist the world has ever known. This proves there is nothing the power of Christ cannot do.

No comments: