Crispads

Monday, February 16, 2009

1 Corinthians, Chapter 2

One of the things I constantly seek is wisdom. My mind is not comfortable when I don't know what I am supposed to do. It's like as long as I have a task to complete, however small, I am comfortable because it is a goal to work for. When I don't have the wisdom of "What next?" I get very anxious. It sometimes gets to the point where I don't even function rationally. Lately, I have been going through a season like this. I have been stuck in a period where I don't know what to do next and I feel like what is coming is far beyond my scope of control. It tends to suck the joy of anything out of my life.

Paul talks about this in 1 Corinthians 2 when he speaks of the wisdom of the spirit. He first comes to his audience with an attitude of humility. He admits that he only knew of Christ crucified when he came to his audience. In a way, this is almost perfect ignorance. This is the most basic point of wisdom we can discover if we know of Christ's sacrifice on the cross. Everything else branches from there.

The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. 11For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 12We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. 13This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. -1 Corinthians 2:10-13

Where does this wisdom of the Spirit come from? I think it comes in those quiet moments where when we are not even seeking it. One of the things I long for is peace in my spirit when it comes to this life. I don't care what I do, as long as I know it is in line with what the Holy Spirit has for me. I cannot find this peace on my own. Believe me, I have tried. Instead, I have to seek each day to find it in the Spirit. Only God can deliver the kind of peace I long for.

No comments: