Crispads

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Genesis 24

We begin the subtle shift from Abraham’s life to Isaac’s life in this chapter. Still, even at the end of his life, Abraham exuded a faith that is unmatched by most people. He still knew of God’s promise to make a nation out of him through Isaac. A younger, more brash Abraham might have tried to take matters into his own hands again, much like when he went to Hagar for a son. We see the maturity that comes from both age and a long, close walk with God throughout one’s life in this chapter. Instead of seeking a wife for his son, he simply sent a servant back to his people and trusted God to guide him.

On the surface this sounds ridiculous. The servant was supposed to go hundreds of miles away with nothing but some gifts and a story to find a wife for Isaac. How could he not go except by faith? God wasted little time too. As we see from this chapter, the servant had barely gotten to his destination before God provided what he was looking for. The Servant himself exhibited a large amount of faith. His prayer was heartfelt and received an immediate answer when Rebekah walked up to him.

12 Then he prayed, "O LORD, God of my master Abraham, give me success today, and show kindness to my master Abraham. 13 See, I am standing beside this spring, and the daughters of the townspeople are coming out to draw water. 14 May it be that when I say to a girl, 'Please let down your jar that I may have a drink,' and she says, 'Drink, and I'll water your camels too'-let her be the one you have chosen for your servant Isaac. By this I will know that you have shown kindness to my master."

15 Before he had finished praying, Rebekah came out with her jar on her shoulder. She was the daughter of Bethuel son of Milcah, who was the wife of Abraham's brother Nahor. 16 The girl was very beautiful, a virgin; no man had ever lain with her. She went down to the spring, filled her jar and came up again. Genesis 24:12-16

How can we apply this today? It starts from knowing that God has a plan for all of us. Abraham laid this down because he knew all along God had promised a specific plan for him. We may not have the deep, intimate relationship that Abraham had with God, but He still loves us and has a specific plan in mind. Sometimes we get quick, specific guidance like Abraham and his servant here. Other times, it may take years before we see God’s plan realized. The important lesson is to realize that we do have a plan out there for us. We must wait for it to be realized no matter how long it takes.

As I read this today and applied it to my life I have never felt as if the word was speaking to me so personally. Right now I am facing a major career decision with a couple of options to go. Both are potential offers in drastically different directions. I also know what I would choose if it was my choice. The bottom line is that it is not my choice, just as it was not Isaac, Abraham’s or even the servant’s choice here. This is God’s choice in His plan for my life. There fore, I am giving it to Him. If he wants me in the job that I would choose, He will have them offer and I won’t look back. If he wants me to stay and grow where I am at now, but don’t want to be, something will get in the way and there will be no offer in the Other direction.

It is a chance for me to practice the faith of Abraham, so I hope I am ready for this test.

No comments: