Crispads

Monday, October 13, 2008

1 Peter 1

I am in need of encouragement today. The decision I spoke of last week was made, and it was not made in my favor. Though it was not the choice I would have made, I have to submit to God’s will in this instance. Today is merely the aftermath. It is a very down morning as I find myself staring at another dead end, at least from my perception. I turned 29 yesterday as well. Professionally and in some ways personally, there is little reason now to think this year will be any better than the last three or four.

I find myself questioning a lot of things this morning. I question why I am currently where I am in life, with a ton of bitterness still clouding my heart so much that it invades my sleep. I feel alone in a crowded room, but I want to be alone if that makes sense. I attended a football game yesterday with 67,000 people, but I felt alone the entire time. I question openly what purpose I am serving on this earth when I feel like I am being stuffed on a shelf for later. This avenue is one of the few areas where I feel useful.

17Since you call on a Father who judges each man's work impartially, live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear. 18For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, 19but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 20He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. 21Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God. – 1 Peter 1:17-21

I didn’t come into the morning expecting to write about 1 Peter. I knew there was encouragement to be found in the apostle Paul, but I wasn’t sure what type I needed today. In doing what I do each for a job, I have a hard time seeing how this work can be judge as anything but useless. I sit here and feel like I am built for so much more, but instead when I pursue it I continuously get told no. Even in this direct decision given to God He made it clear that this is what I am supposed to do. Somehow, I pray He can find glory in it.

And there is glory in that. Verse 21 promises us this. If we believe in our salvation through Christ’s blood, then God finds glory in all we do. Those who know me understand that I am a person of wild, exaggerated examples. I take this promise to the extreme in that case. Imagine God finding glory in everything you do. This includes eating, sleeping, breathing, going to the bathroom, driving your car to work, everything! This is what gives us purpose on days like today. We may not see the glory, but it is there.

No comments: