Crispads

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Proverbs, chapter 30

It is amazing what God’s Word has to say to us sometimes. In this morning’s chapter, Proverbs 30, I discovered a major reason why I have struggled so much lately with writing here. I keep thinking that I need to add to God’s Word, like I will be blessed with some great insight that will inspire the masses. Instead, I get this:

2 "I am the most ignorant of men;
I do not have a man's understanding.
3 I have not learned wisdom,
nor have I knowledge of the Holy One. – Proverbs 30:2-3

This is not totally an expression of ignorance, but one of humility. The author here comes before God to say that they are powerless to add anything to what God has written. As my study Bible says in its commentary, we have no ability or even a right to add to God’s Word. We can’t know god from our own ideas, only by the wisdom that he reveals to us through His Word.

Think about that for a moment. How many things in this world are based merely on an idea? The Cold War was essentially a 45 year clash of ideas. What good came from it, too? The “idea” of communism caused countless millions to live without God’s knowledge in the atheist regime. Our own ideas are counterproductive to God’s plan. Because of that, I apologize for trying to interject my own.

No comments: