Crispads

Thursday, June 18, 2009

2 John

I have decided to finish this week by writing about 2 and 3 John, especially since I did 1 John much earlier. It seems like a fitting cap to the week since I have two days left to go over two very short books.

2 John is something I needed to read, as well. It can be easy to overlook some of these shorter books in the Bible. This is one that is so short it seems a little incongruous, but it is there for a reason. In this book, we are reminded to always be on the lookout for false teachers, but there is something more as well. There is a lesson in love that I sometimes forget. I am glad it was brought home again today.


5And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another. 6And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love. – 2 John 1:5-6


I was recently asked to work in a call center for two weeks. To me, this type of job is a fate worse than death. I hate customer service work, yet I am consistently given jobs like this because it is the best I can do. This one was particularly frustrating because the training I was given was very poor. I could not provide assistance on at least half of the calls I received because I had no idea what I was doing. In frustration, I often ended up giving up on helping those calling in.


In my actions, however, I wasn’t walking in love. I was thinking only of myself and my own frustrations. This is a sin I am constantly guilty of. I admit that I need to work on it not just from a professional standpoint, but a personal one as well. After four and a half years of constant professional frustration my view is often so narrow that I cannot see those around me. I resolve to work on that and try to walk in love for others from now on. It can only benefit me, as well as others.

No comments: