Crispads

Monday, May 11, 2009

John, chapter 10

I feel almost embarrassed to come here today. A major reason there was no entry the last two days of last week was because this has been another bad week for me. I have separated myself from God and tried to do things on my own once again. You would think that after the number of times this has ended in failure I would have learned my lesson, but that is not the case. I feel unworthy to even study the Word today. That attitude is something that has to change if I am ever going to get out of my mental funk.

Ironically, this actually fits in with today’s lesson about the shepherd and his flock. One of the things I pride myself on is not being a member of today’s sheep. I don’t sit here in life and blindly follow the trends of the world. I often rebel, even if sometimes I rebel just for the sake of rebelling. When I get in a mood like have been in this week, however, I really I am being a sheep. I am falling into the ways of the world and succumbing to the temptations of sin. It really is like being attacked, at least mentally, by wolves.

25Jesus answered, "I did tell you, but you do not believe. The miracles I do in my Father's name speak for me, 26but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. 29My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. 30I and the Father are one." – John 10:25-30

Am I one of Jesus’ sheep? I think the reason even Christians can fall astray is a simple one. Though we agree to become sheep of Jesus, we still cannot ever fully separate ourselves from sinful human nature this side of heaven. Yes we still hear Jesus’ voice, but we are not strong enough in our own capacity to avoid the temptations of this world 100% of the time. We will fall. There is no doubt about it. That is why I am frustrated by Christians who consider themselves perfect. They often have lost sight of the author and perfector of their faith and believe that they have reached this plateau all by themselves. I am not saying all Christians are this way, but some definitely are. The truth is that even after we accept Christ, we still must be humble and know that we are still not perfect. We are merely justified in the blood of Christ. There is a big difference there.

No comments: