Crispads

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

John, chapter 4 part 2

Even the smallest conversations can have far-reaching impact. I have inherited my mother’s gift for speaking to random strangers. She is the type of person that will talk your ear off. I am a little different in that my conversations are shorter, but I believe in brightening each person’s day with a joke or something. I talk to clerks at stores, ticket-takers, you name it. I try to make them laugh when their jobs are often pretty bland. I say this because Jesus was a similar type of person. He liked to talk to people, often when other didn’t want him to talk to them. Be it the Pharisees or his own disciples, people often didn’t see why Jesus wanted to engage in such conversation. We saw an example of that yesterday with his conversation at the well, and it continues today.

39Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman's testimony, "He told me everything I ever did." 40So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. 41And because of his words many more became believers.
42They said to the woman, "We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world." – John 4:39-41

This is all the result of one conversation. It is the simplest form of human interaction. Jesus did not have the internet to spread His ministry around the world in an instant. He wasn’t a blogger that could post His thoughts and wait for comments to roll in. He was someone who wanted to speak with each person on an individual, one-on-one level. That attitude often led to many being saved because they kept their ears open to listen. This is what we see here with the Samaritans. They were actually shunned by most of Israel’s society, but Jesus went directly to them. As a result, many were saved and the point that Jesus came to serve for ALL mankind was made.

No comments: