Crispads

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Genesis, chapter 3

The fall of man. The introduction of sin into the world corrupted mankind forever. I sometimes wonder if it was simply bound to happen since we couldn’t even make it long after the Creation before screwing things up. We were warned though. Adam and Eve were specifically told what not to do, yet they still did it. Like any child that disobeys, there has to be consequences.

8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?"

10 He answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid."

11 And he said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?"

12 The man said, "The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it." –Genesis 3:8-12

I find it interesting that this original sin immediately led to a second sin. Instead of immediately confessing the truth, Adam denied himself from being in God’s presence and tried to deflect the blame totally on to Eve. He couldn’t even face up to his own mistake, so he blamed someone else for his shortcomings. He should have known better, too, after walking with God for a longer period of time.

There is hope in this, however. This is the ultimate example of God’s love because it set in motion his ultimate plan for salvation. It is a plan that has been thousands of years in the making, but is still being carried out today. It is because of His love that we have hope, yet, like any parent, He must maintain a firm hand of discipline on us.

No comments: