Crispads

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ecclesiastes, Chapter 12

Today is the last entry I will be publishing here, at least for awhile. When I started this devotional, I knew it was something I was supposed to do. I don’t know why, but it was an overwhelming compunction. The dreams of greatness I have had for it haven’t worked out. I leave knowing I can return at any time, and I know that I have accomplished what God wanted me to accomplish in this time. I trust He will do what needs to be done with what is here, as I will leave it posted for anyone who needs it.

It is appropriate that I am ending with the final chapter in Ecclesiastes. The author of this book, simply known as “the Teacher”, but strongly suspected to be Solomon, had a very cynical view throughout. He asked the hard questions. Many of these questions had no answer, but they still needed to be asked. If this was Solomon, it provides a great life lesson based on his character. Solomon had been given more wisdom, power, money, and influence than any other person to that point in history. Of those, it was the wisdom he cherished most. Despite that, he knew that it was all meaningless in the face of God because of the short time we are given on this earth.

6 Remember him—before the silver cord is severed,
or the golden bowl is broken;
before the pitcher is shattered at the spring,
or the wheel broken at the well,
7 and the dust returns to the ground it came from,

and the spirit returns to God who gave it. – Ecclesiastes 12:6-7

This is almost a final warning given to us by the Teacher. It tells us that it is much easier to devote ourselves to God early in life than later in life. If we do this, we commit our hearts early and will likely have greater contentment from following the Lord longer. When we don’t commit ourselves early, we run the risk of hardening our hearts and missing out on much of what God has planned for us. If that is the only thing that carries meaning in our lives, it makes sense to commit to it early. That is the best advice I can leave anyone with that comes across this blog.

13 Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God will bring every deed into judgment,

including every hidden thing,
whether it is good or evil. – Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

This is a great summary to end on. It very simply states what our responsibility is. It also gives us hope by living in Faith. We are asked only to fear God, have faith in His Son, and keep His commandments. This is our sole responsibility in life, and the earlier we see this the better. If I could leave one final message in this blog it would be this: Love the Lord God with all your heart. If we do so, there is nothing to fear from this final judgment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Travis,

This blog is incredible, and as I stumbled over it today I was overwhelmed to see your prodigious talent put to use for something outside of sports. (Not that there is anything wrong with sports, it is simply lovely to see your intellectual/spiritual depth and breadth.)

Thank you for posting the markers, taken from the word of God, that have been leading you to a mature relationship with God.

-Deb