Crispads

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hebrews 12:2-3

2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. – Hebrews 12:2-3

This is such an encouraging verse. I come to it today because I am in need of some encouragement due simply to the circumstances of life. One of the things I struggle with is finding my place in this world. I know that my own struggles pale in comparison to problems that others face. I feel guilty at times getting down about such things as not having a job when, in reality, my life situation is fine for the moment. There are people much worse off than I, yet I still struggle daily with depression from my circumstances. Sometimes I view this as a sign of simply being weak. Other times I berate myself for what I call whining.

That is why this verse is so encouraging. If there was ever a person that had a right to be upset at His circumstances despite what he had been given, it was Jesus. Here was someone who was absolutely perfect. He was given the throne of heaven, but had to suffer the indignity of the Cross. This was more than a mere bad day that I might go through now and then. In suffering, Jesus was still humble. He could have ended His suffering at anytime, but He didn’t.

The joy set before him that the author of Hebrews refers to is the joy of reaching the world with His message. Jesus takes no greater joy than when one of us finds his or her way back to Him. That would not be possible if it was not for the sacrifice made on the Cross. We must not lose heart, because what we face is far less than what Christ faced on the Cross.

TODAY’S QUESTIONS:

1. How can we take heart in suffering?
2. What do you view as Christ’s joy set before Him?

No comments: