Crispads

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Matthew, Chapter 25 part 1

Yesterday's lesson is a very confusing one because of its context. It spoke of things that we do not know about for two reasons. First, they haven't happened yet. Second, they rest in the mind of God and God alone. Chapter 24 serves as basically a warning against delaying our decision to follow Christ. It is a warning that is carried over to today's lesson in the first part of chapter 25. Today we will touch on this warning as well as another warning to make the most of every opportunity we are given. Both have strong relations to chapter 24 because of the warning about not knowing the hour and the day.

10"But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.

 11"Later the others also came. 'Sir! Sir!' they said. 'Open the door for us!'

 12"But he replied, 'I tell you the truth, I don't know you.'

 13"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour – Matthew 25:10-13

Jesus has always tried to make his points clear through His parables, which is what He is trying to accomplish with this one. Since I was a boy scout growing up, the motto of Be Prepared has long been a part of my life. In this parable we see the difference between being prepared and not. Those that did not bring oil with them showed a lack of faith. This carries over to today in that we show a lack of faith if we are not ready for His return at all times. Those that didn't bring enough oil were warned just as we are warned. As we see at the end of the parable, there is little sympathy for those that have not heeded such warnings.

24"Then the man who had received the one talent came. 'Master,' he said, 'I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25So I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.'

     26"His master replied, 'You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

 28" 'Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents. 29For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 30And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.' – Matthew 25:24-30

The second part of this chapter that I wanted to touch on today takes on a much different tone. It is about making the most of everything we are given in this life. It is an area where I have sadly fallen short time and again. It is an area where we all fall short because of our imperfections. There are times when I look back over the course of my life so far and I see nothing but missed opportunities. I have seen that a lot lately because of the current state of affairs with me at the moment. I see times where I have had great potential in many areas, but years later that is still potential and nothing solid. There are other times where I see areas of accomplishment. One of the greatest honors of my life is that I helped lead my wife to Christ. It is moments like that which give me a purpose and a reason to go on. I feel like it is in these moments that we do make the most of what God has given us. Just like writing this blog and my other blog. I feel God has given me this great talent, yet I let it lay dormant and misdirected for years. Now I am pursuing it with everything I have and He is opening doors I didn't even know were there.

TODAY'S QUESTIONS:

  1. How is it that we must always be ready?
  2. How do you make the most of what is given to you?
  3. What does this passage say about taking risks?

No comments: