Crispads

Monday, September 17, 2007

Philippians, Chapter 2

Humility is not limited to those embarrassing moments when everything seems to go wrong and we are brought low before everyone. In the context it is used to begin chapter 2 of Philippians it is viewed more as an attitude of servanthood and humbleness that was exhibited in Christ's example. It is incredible to see what he accomplished based on these first few verse in chapter 2.

"3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness." – Philippians 2:3-7


 

Consider this for a second: Jesus was both fully God and fully man. He was more powerful and could be raised in station above every person that has ever lived. He had power beyond reason, but lowered Himself to the level of a servant. He did not just do this by dying on the cross, but He also did this on several occasions throughout His ministry. He was just not the most influential man who ever lived, but He was also the most humble.


 

Now imagine that You are Christ and You have all the power that the God of the Universe has. Facing what Christ did in His life, how would you react? Even better, imagine if you had this power to do ANYTHING that you ever wanted. How would your human nature prevail? Would you be able to do the same that Christ did and use your power for the good of mankind? This makes Christ life even more incredible considering that He was fully human, yet he was able to avoid this trap of humanity. It is because of this that we can be saved.


 

"14Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe 16as you hold out the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing." – Philippians 2:14-16


 

Once again here we see the posture of servanthood and humility that we must take in regards to out walk with Christ. As human being this is hard to do because it is our natural inclination to try and raise ourselves above others. We must remember Christ's example, as He put others before Himself in order to serve a grander purpose.


 

I would much rather serve some grander purpose than to accomplish my own petty goals. Even as I am struggling through a current period of free-floating lack of direction I am doing my best to remain faithful and realize that I may not be furthering myself, but I may be furthering Christ's cause in all that I do. Sometimes it takes something as simple as spending the first few waking moments of each day in prayer asking the Father that He uses you to glorify him and accomplish what He needs to accomplish each day. Even though I may feel empty in my own life, I know that I am here and ready to serve if I am asked.


 

As I have stated before, it is the most wonderful feeling I have ever had when I know that I have been used by my Creator to accomplish some task for Him. I urge you to try out for just a week the prayer mentioned above each morning. Take an attitude of humility and servanthood in your own life and see how it changes your perspective. Remind yourself that the same man who could have called down the heavenly host and climbed down off of the cross stayed and suffered because of humility, and He asks that you serve His cause to the same end if necessary. Remember also that many in the early church died for their faith, and that you can serve just as well as they did.


 

TODAY'S QUESTIONS:


 

  1. What do you think it means to be humble and to serve?
  2. How does Christ's example of humility reflect on your own heart?
  3. Are you merely serving a purpose or purposely serving?

No comments: